About RSNB Bank
RSNB Bank opened for business at its original location on South
Main Street across from the Union Pacific depot June 10,
1892. That building still stands with engraving "National
Bank of 1892" on its facade. John W. Hay, Sr. became
president in 1907. Over the next 40 years, Mr. Hay oversaw
the growth and management of the bank, including construction of a
new building which sat on the corner of C and South Front Streets
from 1909 until 1970.
Through good fortune and the hard work of its employees, the
community bank thrived. Abundant coal, oil and gas deposits,
coupled with plentiful grazing land, carried both the town and RSNB
Bank through world wars and the Great Depression. John W.
Hay, Sr. had a great love for the surrounding country and the
workers in this area who made their living from the production of
In 1947, John W. Hay, Jr. assumed leadership of the bank when his
father retired. In his new capacity, John, Jr. continued his
father's practice of financing efforts to develop resources in the
area. As the railroad converted from steam to diesel engines
in the early 1950s, the town found itself on the down side of a
boom-and-bust cycle. At this time, Mountain Fuel Supply
discovered a large deposit of sodium carbonate (trona) while
drilling for gas on a tract of land leased by John, Jr. The
hole was dry but the trona represented enormous potential.
Through many phone calls and meetings, John, with others, found a
company interested in developing the mineral resource. Once
again, area miners of many different nationalities went back to
work and the community prospered.
John W. Hay, Jr. was challenged in the 1970s as the
southwestern-Wyoming economy entered a boom. The trona mines
expanded and natural gas exploration and development
proliferated. Two new coal mines were opened and construction
on a new 2000-megawatt power plant started east of Rock
Springs. As this business expansion began, Mr. Hay oversaw
completion of a new bank building at 333 Broadway in early
1970. Again, with the help of dedicated employees and loyal
customers, the bank grew. In 1994, John W. Hay, Jr. retired
as president passing leadership of the bank to his sons, John W.
Hay, III and Keith N. Hay.
1997 marked another year of growth for the bank. Under
guidance of John and Keith, the West Branch was opened at 1987
Dewar Drive, accommodating development on the west side of the city
and affording customers the convenience of two banking
The turn of the century was marked by the discovery of prolific
natural gas fields both north and east of Rock Springs. The
development of these gas fields brought additional changes to the
area. In August of 2006, the bank building at 333 Broadway
was replaced by a brand new Main Office at 200 Second Street.
The new facility was immediately recognized by the City of Rock
Springs Urban Renewal Agency as the Community Pride Award Winner
John and Keith intend to continue to operate RSNB Bank as an
independent community bank tied only to the needs of the community
and its customers for many years to come.
On May 31, 2012, RSNB Bank, which from its inception in 1892
operated as Rock Springs National Bank, became a state-chartered
financial institution and was required to remove the "National"
reference from its name. The state charter had became a
better "fit" for community banks and allowed RSNB Bank to better
achieve its community-focused goals.